At St Monica's Primary School, we believe that a quality Literacy (English) curriculum should develop children's love of reading, writing and discussion.
We intend that our pupils develop their skills in Language and Literacy so they continue to improve in their ability to:
- Communicate effectively in speech so they can talk appropriately with confidence to different audiences.
- Use discussion to communicate and further their learning.
- Listen attentively with understanding.
- Express themselves clearly in writing using appropriate spelling, punctuation and grammar.
- Write in ways appropriate for an intended audience and/or for the intended purpose.
- Take pride in their writing and write clearly and accurately.
- Read a range of materials fluently and with understanding, for enjoyment and for information.
- Develop reading skills so that they can analyse and extract meaning from increasingly challenging texts.
- Enjoy reading a wide range of quality texts.
- Acquire a wide range of vocabulary and apply this through reading, writing and spoken language.